Saturday 13 October 2012

Day 40: Day Trip to Nikko

I left Jun's place early and headed home to pack a day bag for my trip to Nikko. It was actually a bit warm so I wore very little clothes (big mistake). I minced my way to Shimbashi Station to get the train to Asakusa. Here I would change lines in order to get to Nikko. I bought a special pass that gets me access to all the best temples and covers all my travel for pretty cheap, which was good. I didn't have much time to catch the next train and I had to run to make it. The journey takes 2 and a half hours so I just had a wee nap and updated my blog a bit. A huge bug fell on me and I almost had a stroke on the train. The further away from Tokyo, the less and less buildings there were. The older the train stations started to look. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous though.

We arrived up in Nikko 2 and a half hours later and it was a little bit chilly. Definitely regretted my tiny shorts and barely-there vest. I left the station and the town was really pretty. I decided to have lunch first before getting the bus up the mountain to the temples. I went to this cute little restaurant and saw something on the menu I have always wanted to try. It's like chicken and poached egg over rice. It's meant to be you eating the animal and it's children. A bit cruel but it was delicious. I also had a beer (at 12pm) to wash it down.

I got the bus higher up into the mountains and got off at the first temple. It was getting renovated so there was lots of scaffolding around it. It was absolutely huge and the artwork inside it was beautiful. Outside the temple was a big load of schoolchildren. I walked past them and they went silent, staring at me. The whole area was beautiful, so peaceful and calm. I had some time alone to myself. It was very different to the noisy, crazy Tokyo. I saw so many beautiful temples and shrines to historical Japanese figures.

After my tour of the temples I decided to get the bus up the mountain to see the lake and waterfall. The tiny little bus drove up the bendiest and most winding roads i've ever been on. I felt so sick the entire 40 minute journey and genuinely thought I might die. When I reached the lake I had to have a quick cigarette and can of beer in order to relax myself again. I saw the waterall as well and walked around the little town up in the mountains. Such amazing scenery and it was actually really cold. Once I was finished I got back on the dreaded bus to head back to the station. It wasn't quite so hideous a journey this time thank god. I bought some snacks for the journey home and got the long train home. I was stuck in the same carriage as these incredibly chatty schoolgirls who wouldn't shut the fuck up for one minute.

I napped most of the way home and I was absolutely exhausted! An entire day walking around temples and shrines and on buses that I thought would kill me. I got home and had some beers and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment